Sunday, February 27, 2011

Ode to the Airplane Seat

Why is it so hard for me to write in airplanes? Probably because of the anticipation. The peacefulness. Every time I watch another city disappear outside the window, it’s like ascending to the peak of a rollercoaster… feet tapping, hands clinched. Having no idea what’s ahead beyond the mere structure of the tracks – the geography of the location.

Fall asleep in my home city, wake up in an adult world. Eat a hot breakfast in the middle of winter, have a light dinner under the setting summer sun. 

The pure magic that is travel all begins in this little seat: a two foot box that connects me through time and seasons with the people that I love. The places I dream about.  The novelty and adventure that keeps me wanderlust and wanting more. 

So this is my ode to the airplane seat - for being simple. Stable. A constant in my life that doesn’t expect or even nurture, but just supports my way of life.

1 comment: