Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Thunder, Lightning & Mother Nature

Sooooo... it's 3am. And I just got woken up by the most intense thunder and lightening storm I've ever seen in my life. It's still in the 80s, and I'm sleeping without covers with the fan on high. We're at the top of a big hill, so from where I sit, looking out the window all I can see is pouring rain, constant flashes of lightening bolts and what looks like the closest thing to a hurricane I've ever experienced.

Okay Australia, you're way more hardcore than I even realized. Looking around on a clear, blisteringly hot (it was 35C, 95F yesterday) sunny day yesterday, I was  noticing the barely-recognizable remnants of the flood damage and thinking to myself "how was it even possible for there to have been that much rain?". Liezl told me last night that it's storm season, and warned us lightheartedly that if massive black clouds roll in tomorrow (today) while we're on campus, to be wary because traffic will be hell. Apparently this is what she was talking about.

If a storm like this came to California, people would probably assume it was the end of the world, nearing 2012. Here, it's just another rainy evening, with showers in the forcast. Nothing to write home about.

I probably should go back to sleep, having a full day ahead tomorrow... but even closing my curtains doesn't block the sound and flashes of light, although now it's starting to finally calm down. And plus, there's something fascinating about watching a tropical thunders storm right outside my window, from the top of a hill. Seeing mother nature at her most raw, terrifying and beautiful.

Back to sleep. Try to fall back asleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment